Have you ever wondered if you could produce a better meeting or event by implementing sustainability practices? Did you want to try it out but when you started planning things started to get a little overwhelming?
GMIC's signature educational offering, the Sustainable Event Professional Certificate (SEPC) program, is a 360-degree learning environment to create a new class of sustainable event practitioners. Through a combination of online learning, small group work and an in-person session at GMIC's annual Sustainable Meetings Conference (to be held in 2015 in Atlanta, June 17-19th) participants of the program will learn from GMIC green meetings experts how to plan, guide, implement and measure the sustainability initiatives of a multi-day conference. This unique program offers participants both the practical knowledge of sustainability best practices and tools, and the opportunity to apply their learnings in hands-on participation at the 2015 Sustainable Meetings Conference (SMC). An important capstone to the course, participants will take part in the SMC sustainability pre-conference meeting with the host venue, and will be recognized during general session as the 2015 graduating class of Sustainable Event Professionals.
- Expand the knowledge and skills of sustainability professionals in the event industry
- Provide an interactive learning platform for education on conference sustainability
- Better understand how to integrate industry accepted sustainable istandards such as APEX, ISO & GRI into the planning and execution process
- Create a case study and tell the sustainability story of GMIC’s Sustainable Meetings Conference
- Participants will be prepared to engage or increase sustainability efforts in their own event programs. At the conclusion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Design a sustainability framework for their event programs
- Communicate sustainability strategy, performance criteria and objectives to personnel, vendors, attendees and all applicable stakeholders
- Build tools which will streamline the engagement process with stakeholders
- Participants will be recognized at the conference through acknowledgement/graduation ceremony
- Course participants will guide and support the conference sustainability initiatives as the planning green team.
- Through experiential learning, the participants will learn the intricacies of event sustainability.
- Participants will receive a certificate of completion and 40 hours of learning, which will be eligible for CEU credits.
Course Dates and Registration:
The 2015 course begins February 24, and runs every other Tuesday through July 14, with an in-person session and recognition of course participants at GMIC's Sustainable Meetings Conference, June 17-19, in Atlanta, GA. See course dates and schedule below. The registration deadline is February 15.
GMIC Member: $1200 - Price includes (1) 2015 conference registration (valued at $475), all program materials, access to learning modules and cohort learning community, and a one-year extension on your current Individual GMIC membership (valued at $185).
GMIC Non-Member: $1500 – Price includes (1) 2015 conference registration (valued at $575), all program materials, access to learning modules and cohort learning community, and a one-year Individual GMIC membership (valued at $185) to run March 1, 2015 - March 31, 2016.
Price does not include some required reading materials, travel to or lodging for the 2015 Sustainable Meetings Conference, or incidentals. Students who opt out of the conference attendance component will need to demonstrate a practical application of the course and an additional assessment fee may apply.