Here are a few ways that you can improve your environmental footprint for your upcoming trip.
Prepare for travel:
- Bring your own reusable BPA-free beverage containers and name tag lanyard.
- Fill your own reusable travel sized bottles with your favourite shampoo and conditioner.
- Pack lightly to reduce fuel consumption. If you’re bringing a significant amount of materials, plan to send them with enough time for ground travel, and ship show-to-show when possible.
- Use lower carbon travel options when possible, such as trains or buses. If you need to fly, book the most direct route possible.
Reduce food waste, water use and energy consumption at home:
- Save your perishables. Give away any perishable food to neighbours before you leave, or store them for later use. Slice and freeze soft fruits for smoothies, make milk ice cubes for iced coffee, and prep any veggies or leftovers that can be frozen for making soup when you get home.
- Turn off your main water supply. This will make sure that small leaks don’t run up your water use, and mitigates the potential damage from a major leak.
- Power down before leaving home and office. Did you know that equipment keeps drawing power when it’s turned off but still plugged in? Using a power bar for your computer equipment and shutting it off is an easy way to bring down your power consumption. The US Department of Energy estimates that the average US family spends $100 a year to power devices that are turned off or are on standby mode.
- Adjust your heating or air conditioning levels if no one will be home. Depending on your climate, you might not want to turn them off completely to avoid freezing pipes or damage to wood in extreme heat.
- Use public transit or ride-shares to and from the airport. Light Rail Service is provided by the Maryland Transit Administration (MTA) to and from BWI Marshall Airport. The fare is $1.60 each way. The BWI Marshall Light Rail Station is located immediately outside the lower level of the terminal building, adjacent to Concourse E. The Convention Center station is the closest to the conference location. SuperShuttle offers service from BWI to both the Holiday Inn Inner Harbor and the Hilton Baltimore.
- Use paperless boarding passes. For faster access, save them to your photos or e-wallet.
- Take part in towel and linen reuse programs.
- Opt out of daily newspaper delivery if it is offered at your hotel.
- Adjust blinds (open when it’s cold out, closed when it’s hot out) and air conditioning/heating when you’re not in your room to reduce power use.
- Take shorter showers. Tip: choose your favourite 4 minute song to play and use it as your shower timer.
- Make drought and carbon friendly food choices. Select tea over coffee, and vegetarian, chicken or fish over beef to reduce your water and carbon food footprints.