Foundation Trustee Nomination Form
GSMF requires a Board that is sufficiently balanced across three W’s that reflect the key functions of the Foundation:
- Wisdom, in the form of knowledge and expertise in foundation governance and/or sustainability
- Wealth, measured by the ability to attract donors for the Foundation or sign cheques,including sufficient profile and seniority to interact with prospective major donors in the meetings and sustainability industries
- Work, consisting of a willingness and availability to play an active role in approaching prospective donors and guiding the Foundation’s overall strategy and development
Beyond these qualitative criteria, the Board will be balanced as follows:
Terms of Reference for GSMF Trustees
|Criterion||By Law Requirement||Planning Target|
|Minimum number of trustees||7||7|
|Maximum number of trustees||15||12|
|Geographic balance||-||Regional representation: United States,Europe, Canada, emerging markets|
|Balance by industry category||-||Suitable mix of meeting professionals,sustainability professionals/practitioners,and other specialized expertise as required|
The following expectations form the basis for a job description for trustees:
|Expectation||By Law Requirement||Planning Target|
|Term of Office||1 year (review pending)||2 years|
|Minimum meetings per year||1||8-10|
|Maximum meetings per year||-||as needed|
|Minimum face-to-face meetings per year||-||1|
|Average length of virtual meetings||-||60-75 minutes|
|Coverage of costs for face-to‑face meetings||-||Trustees are responsible for their own travel costs related to attending the face to face meeting, held in conjunction with the GMIC Sustainable Meetings Conference.|
|Average time commitment per month||-||6 hours|
Trustees are expected to:
- Attend Board meetings regularly, both virtually and face-to-face
- Review reference documents in advance and participate actively during the meetings
- Actively seek out and identify prospective funding sources for Foundation initiatives
- Review incoming project proposals and critically assess their alignment with the Foundation’s strategic mission and priorities
- Conduct all their Foundation‑related activities with appropriate discretion and respect for confidentiality
Trustees are also responsible for establishing the Foundation’s policies and procedures and overseeing their implementation. Through their efforts, Foundation trustees will make a fundamentally important contribution to building a solid, sustainable financial base for projects intended to:
- Deliver educational resources to meeting and event planners, suppliers, and venues seeking to meet the ever‑rising standards consumers set for sustainable meetings
- Promote sustainable meeting and event practices globally through training workshops and online resources
- Build a wider community of interest, understanding, and practice in support of sustainable meetings and events
- Support the development of environmentally and socially responsible certification schemes for events, and for the various facilities and components they require
To support this activity, the Foundation will provide trustees with standard promotional supports, including training and orientation for incoming trustees, a published fundraising case and strategic plan, PowerPoint slides with standard talking points, testimonials for successful projects as they accumulate, YouTube‑style videos, donor newsletters and e‑blasts.
Trustees are expected to make a financial contribution to the Foundation when they join the Board, if they have not already done so.
For their volunteer efforts, Foundation trustees receive recognition on the Foundation website and at GMIC’s annual conference, the ongoing profile that results from their continuing donor development activity, and the professional satisfaction of helping to develop programs that will make a difference in our industry.
To submit your answers to the following recruitment questionnaire, via our online form.
If you have questions regarding the 2013 Foundation Nomination Process, please contact Amy Spatrisano, Foundation Nominating Chair, or Mariela McIlwraith, GSMF Interim Executive Director.
Click Here to Access our Online Nomination and Application Form