Funding Categories and Procedures
The GMIC Sustainable Meetings Foundation supports projects that align the global meetings industry with the three pillars of sustainability: economic, environmental, and social.
The Foundation is interested in innovative yet practical projects that target:
- Trade shows…and their supply chains
The Foundation supports four categories:
- Research to more fully understand the drivers and opportunities for sustainability in the meetings industry
- Education and scholarship to build a broader base of sustainability expertise within the meetings industry
- Demonstration projects to apply and test new and emerging sustainability practices that can then be mainstreamed across the industry
- Initiatives that support the growth and sustainability of GMIC’s own member networks through leadership development, marketing and communications, succession planning, and special projects
Click here for the Foundation’s application form. Eventually, the Foundation will fund projects through:
- Annual calls for proposals
- Consideration of a limited number of unsolicited, time-sensitive proposals between proposal calls
- More focused requests for proposals to address specific priority areas that the Foundation sees as industry priorities
We expect that the demand for project support will far exceed the funds at the Foundation’s disposal. As a first step, for at least the first six to 12 months of operation, the Foundation will consider project proposals valued at US $5,000 (or the equivalent in other currencies) or less, and almost certainly focused on short-term results.
Before completing a full proposal, applicants are strongly encouraged to send a letter of intent that briefly describes the proponent, the project, its purpose and objectives, its anticipated budget, and the proportion of the budget the proponent expects to cover by other means. The Foundation will respond as quickly as possible with an initial assessment of the factors that might weigh for or against acceptance of a full-scale proposal.Working in Partnership with GMIC Global and Chapters
The Foundation works closely with GMIC, at both the global and chapter levels, within a framework that:
- Ensures that the Foundation’s work is complementary to but still independent of GMIC’s
- Ensures that three levels of fund raising and granting activity (Foundation, GMIC Global, and GMIC chapters) are coordinated in a way that maximizes benefits for GMIC members and, to the extent that every meeting professional benefits from a more sustainable industry, for the industry as a whole
Contact Us Today!
The GMIC Sustainable Meetings Foundation is on the lookout for innovative ideas and projects that will help mainstream sustainable practices within the global meetings industry. For more information, contact us today!